Adventurous island dining with a natural Hawaiian flair at Makena Beach & Golf Resort. Check out Makena dining specials here.
Under the direction of Executive Chef Marc McDowell, the culinary staff is continually coming up with new taste profiles and dishes aimed to showcase Maui’s natural bounty. At the Makena Beach & Golf Resort you will find Adventurous Island dining with a natural Hawaiian flair. In addition to our four restaurant outlets the resort offers both in-room dining options and special ocean-side dining opportunities; as well as great monthly food and wine events.
1st Annual Dessert Contest Winning Recipe
Family Recipe for Hawaiian Hulk Pie Wins Makena’s 1st Annual Dessert Contest
Congratulations to Chad Sumida, local boy from Wailuku, for winning our 1st Annual Holiday Dessert Contest with his 30 year-old family recipe for an Avocado Chiffon Pie named the Hawaiian Hulk. Check out his dessert on our Molokini Bar & Grille dessert menu throughout 2014.
Hawaiian Hulk Avocado Chiffon Pie
- 1 Box Graham Crackers
- 1 pkg Knox Gelatin (1 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup avocado ripe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ pint whipped cream
- Mix and dissolve gelatin in ¼ cup cold water. Let stand for at least 5 minutes, set aside
- Food process ¾ box of graham crackers till fine. Melt unsalted butter and mix with graham crackers. Press in to pie pan and cool
- Smash avocado thru a strainer
- Separate egg white into a large mixing bowl and yolk in a separate small bowl
- In a medium pot combine avocado, yolk, ½ cup sugar warm over med-low heat. (Don’t cook) stir constantly until mixture is has a more liquid consistancy. Remove from heat add salted butter, gelatin, cinnamon, lemon, salt nutmeg, mix well and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites until firm, add ½ cup sugar to egg whites till soft peaks form.
- Fold Mixture in to avocado mix
- Fill pie to rim of crust and chill for 30 minutes
- Add vanilla in a large bowl and whip whipping cream till firm peaks form, cover pie and smooth
- Chill till firm (1 hour)
In Room Dining
Enjoy the luxury of breakfast in bed or the privacy of lunch or dinner service on your lanai (balcony). Or maybe you just want snacks and cold drinks while you watch your favorite sports game on your in-room flat screen TV. Quick and convenient in-room service is just a phone call away.
In-Room Dining Hours:
Breakfast 6:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Wake up coffee is available each morning from 6:45 am
Lunch 11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Dinner 5:30 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
Treat that special someone to a private ocean side dining experience. Can anything be more romantic than a private, catered seven-course gourmet dining experience overlooking the ocean for two? Whether you are celebrating a special occasion, or popping the question, a private Makena Oceanside dining experience is an unforgettable way to make a lasting impression on your special someone. Oceanside dinner options come in three course, four course and seven course dinner options for all budgets.
48-hours advance notice required. Please call for pricing.
To reserve private ocean side dining, please call: (808) 875-5888
Ocean-side Dinner Menus and Packages:
Food & Wine Education Series
New Monthly Tasting Event Series...
The Food & Wine Education Series at Makena is a new monthly series featuring a culinary partnership between Master Sommelier Patrick Okubo and Executive Chef of the Makena Beach & Golf Resort Marc McDowell. It is designed to pair the best of the Chef’s fresh and cultured dishes with the best of old world and new world wines. The series will focus on various wines paired with dishes made with fresh local ingredients from local farms and companies. During each event Executive Chef Marc McDowell will provide demonstrations and talk about each dish and/or Master Sommelier, Patrick Okubo will educate on the wines chosen for each event. Each event will introduce three wine and food tasting pairings.
About Master Sommelier, Patrick Okubo
Patrick “Pat” Okubo is a Master Sommelier with the Court of Master Sommeliers, a Certified Wine Educator (CWE), and Certified Specialist of Spirits (CSS). A graduate of University High and the University of Hawaii, he is a member of the National Guard, runs The Wine GI, a personal wine consultation and education business, and is host of A Perfect Sip – an online radio show, www.aperfectsip.com. Pat is the Fine Wine Specialist and Wine Educator for Young’s Market Hawaii. Previously, he opened Formaggio Grill as Managing Partner and Wine Director / Restaurant manager at Four Seasons Lana’i. Pat is the third Master Sommelier in Hawaii and is the second youngest Master Sommelier in the nation.
Winery of the Month Series
The Makena Beach & Golf Resort's new Winery of the Month series features a distinguished wine cellar every month with specials on the cellar's wines in the resort's Molokini Bar & Grille with special three flight tasting with all special menu items and a five course wine dinner featuring the winery's special wines designed by Executive Chef Marc McDowell and with a special guest host from the chosen winery or vineyard.
Past featured wineries include:
- Cakebread Cellars
- Banfi Vintners
- Craggy Range Wines
- Alexander Valley Vineyards
For upcoming wine dinner dates and special information see the below listings or call (808) 875-5888.
Check out our full list of dining specials and events here:
Molokini Bar & Grille
$45++ Per Person
For Reservations Call: 808-875-5888
"Around The Bay" Taste of San Francisco - Food & Wine Education Series
For the April edition of our Food & Wine Education Series, we hang around the bay, San Francisco Bay! Master Sommelier Patrick Okubo and Executive Chef McDowell bring a Taste of San Francisco with eclectic food and wine choices that represent the eclectic city.
- Lancaster, Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma 2012 paired with Beet and Arugula Salad
- Fetzer Crimson Pinot Noir, Lodi 2011 paired with Chicken Rilletes Strawberry Jam
- Foley Johnson, Red Blend, Napa 2010 paired with Beef Wellington
++ prices not including tax or gratuity
Molokini Bar & Grille
Sunday April 20, 2014
9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Reservations (808) 875-5888
Join us for our famed Makena Easter Sunday Brunch with all your traditional Sunday Brunch Favorite and so much more. Plus join us for our annual Easter Egg Hunt on Pu'u Olai Lawn, see our full list of guest activities here
Molokini Bar & Grille
$60++ per person
Reservations (808) 875-5888
Master Mixologist Joey Gottesman returns for another great cocktail demonstration, featuring everything GIN. Start the event with straight tastings of popular gin brands then watch Joey as he creates three classic cocktails that you'll get to sip and savor with our culinary team's batch of appetizers.
Bombay Sapphire East, Martini and Rossi Bianco, fresh lemon sour, tonic, fresh aromatic cucumber and Peychaud's Bitters
The Botanist Gin, Fresh Muddled Sage and Blueberries, Fresh Lemon and Honey.
Bols Genever, stirred with Antica Carpano Sweet Vermouth and Quaffable Bitters, strained up with a fresh expressed orange Swath.
APPETIZER LIST COMING SOON
++prices not including taxes and gratuity
Molokini Lounge Happy Hour
5:30 PM to 6:30 PM Daily
Come on down to the lounge at the Molokini Bar & Grill for great food and drinks. Now featuring a new Happy Hour with specialty chefs appetizers and speciality cocktails garnished with herbs grown and hand picked from our very own chef's garden.
- $6 Fried Calamari
- $8 Kalua Pork Fries - Waffle fries topped with smoked Kalua Porl and Gruyere Bechamel
- $10 Poke of the Day - Fresh island fish tossed with fresh island ingredients
- $10 Shrimp Kebob - Grilled Hawaiian shrimp and pineapple in Lilikoi butter
$7 Specialty Cocktails
- Island Mojito - Bacardi superior rum with muddled pineapple and fresh mint
- Molo-Rita - Tequila, fresh basil, fresh lime and our house-made ginger syrup
- Lemongrass fizz - Coconut rum, housemade lemongrass syrup, lime
- Ginger Gimlet - Tanqueray, house made Ginger Syrup, lime
$6 House-Made Sangria
- Fruity and tropical white wine sangria
- Tropical slightly spiced red wine sangria
Plus ... $5 Beers (Bud, Bud Light, Bikini Blond, Guinness)
Prices do not include applicable state tax and gratuity, service charge of 18% will be added for parties of six guests or more.
See full offerings at Molokini Bar & Grill